Monday, February 27, 2006

Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome

Apparently my heart condition is something called Wolf-Parkinson-White Syndrome. What you may ask? Yes Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome is something where my heart's SA node misfires to the AV node and so it causes all these weird symptoms.

I called to see my doctor this morning and I'm thinking ok nothing too big is wrong with my heart I just have to go see the doctor. So I call to make an appointment and they automatically after hearing my symptoms make me talk to two different nurses and the last one says:

"Oh you need to go to the Emergency Room right now"

"What? Are you sure?"

"Yes. You need to come right away and make sure you take an aspirin and don't eat or drink anything."

"Ok"

I get off the phone and I'm like ok this nurse it just crazy. So I go the ER and I they perform an EKG to check the electrical signals of my heart. And then they take a urine sample, SICK and they put stickys all over my chest and hook me up to a moniter. Then this doctor comes in and asks me to tell him why I'm there. So I say:

"Well I've been having these episodes where when I breathe in deeply my chest begins to tighten and my heart starts beating weird and then it feels like it stops"

"That's because it does"

In my mind...."WHAT?!" He doesn't even say like oh well yeah it just feels that way or yeah it might be stopping he flat out says yeah it does. I would hate to have him there if I were like well I feel like I am dying his response would be "oh, that's because you are".

So I keep talking while my mind is racing and I say:

"oh ok and then I felt like I was going to faint"

"That's because you were"

I begin to feel more scared....

"Oh umm ok and then it beats normal and I have chest pain"

"Ok I know what you have. You have something called Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome"

WHAT?!?!?! So he proceeds to tell me what it is..long story short I was there another two hours and I have to go see my doctor wednesday to discuss medication vs surgery and then I have to see a Cardiologist to get an ultrasound (echocardiogram) on my heart and a 24 hour heart monitor to determine 100% that it is not anything else.

I woke up this morning normal Shawna and now I'm Shawna who has a wolff syndrome. My little cousins 5yrs and 8 yrs old who I babysat tonight came up to me and said "Shawna we'll be extra good cuz we know you have a heart problem and we want it to be easier on you."

Can I just cry now? I'm 20 in less than a month and I feel 90...my heart is broken literally... :(